Who the Kiama Art Society is, what we do, and how to join
The Kiama Art Society is an active art group, with a membership of approximately 200. We are a “not for profit” community organisation, run entirely by a volunteer committee. Members’ benefits include the opportunity to participate in the exhibitions and educational programs run by the Society.
- Weekly classes for children during school term
- Long and short term art classes for adults
- Weekly life drawing group
- Thursday social painting group WAGS
- Plein air group every 2nd Wednesday
Workshops for adults are held throughout the year, with local and visiting artist/tutors, covering a range of media and subjects.
Monthly demonstrations – usually held the first Tuesday of the month at 1pm. Each demonstration shows a range of skills, techniques and subjects to inspire members to broaden their artistic practice. Demonstrations also provide a meeting place for sharing and socialising.
- Major Annual Exhibition held each year in January at the Kiama Leagues Club
- Up to 4 exhibitions per year at the Old Fire Station in the main street of Kiama
- We also support the Kiama High School Art Exhibition, The Kiama Show Art Exhibition, and
organise an annual exhibition for Primary School Children.
Members Art Trail
- The Members Art Trail is being organised in 2022.
Our home base
Activities other than exhibitions are held at the Kiama Art Society home base, upstairs in the historic Coach House at 3a Farmer Street, Kiama. This has been the KAS home since 1966.
The Society was formed in 1966 as the Kiama and District Art Society. The Spackman family generously allowed the use of the upper floor of the historic Hartwell House stables at 3a Farmer Street as a gallery and meeting venue.
The downstairs is occupied by the Childrens’ classes and the Spinners & Weavers group. The first exhibition was opened there on 14th December 1966. The Society has continued to grow in membership, and the Coach House is still our home base and the venue for demonstrations, workshops and classes for both adults and children.
- PRESIDENT – Helen Pain – email firstname.lastname@example.org
- VICE PRESIDENT – Colin Harwood
- SECRETARY/TREASURER – Robyn McMillan – email email@example.com
- Carole Massey
- Michele Skuza
- Margaret Higgins
- Judy White
- Linda Simpson
- Heidi Uhlig
- Andrea Badi
- John Johnston
- Membership form can be downloaded on the Forms page
- Annual membership is $40
Join the Society
Joining the Society is a wonderful way to support your own art practice and connect with other artists in the area. Members have access to all KAS activities and events, and enjoy discounts on art supplies from: